Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Josie



Thank you for your blog comments and emails. We read them often and praise the Lord for this connection with friends and family back home.

The first 24--36 hours with Josie has been....pick a word...Exhilarating. Bewildering. Joyous. Puzzling. "Indescribable" might be most suitable.

Here's a sound bite: Josie is beautiful and sweet. And she is confused and overwhelmed.

We'll share the long version next, but don't expect you to read it all. One purpose of this blog is to keep friends and family informed. Another is to preserve these early memories so we can reflect on them later. So that's what this long story is for:

I think the Lord gave me (Kent) a ten-second taste yesterday of what Josie is experiencing. We rode in a van with our translator and another adoptive family to the Civil Affairs office for an interview and to fill out more of the endless paperwork. We brought along some of the papers we needed but not all of them, so I had to take a cab back to the hotel by myself. The translator explained to the driver what I needed. He drove me along a route I tried to memorize, waited for me to run up to the 14th floor and take the papers out of the safe in our room, then he took me back. Because of construction and traffic he dropped me off a couple blocks from the Civil Affairs office. I had to wend my way through a sea of people, down what you and I would call an alley for about 500 yards, turn left, then locate the Civil Affairs building a little ways down on the right.

Simple, right?

Nope.

The landmarks I had tried to memorize were now blocked by new trucks and buses and throngs of different people, bikes, and police officers...The buildings were all enormous and the same shade of smog gray. Each was taller than any of the "skyscrapers" in downtown GR and they seemed to have been dropped there with no rhyme or reason. 35-50 story behemoths with only a clogged alley to access them, high rise old-looking apartments with power lines 7 feet off the ground and laundry hanging from bamboo scaffolding stacked as high as I could see. Every doorway in the alley was a flea market-like shop selling to the locals. One stall for copper wire, another for air compressors, a third for pulleys of all shapes and sizes...stall after stall of random stuff.

When I turned left the street was jammed with delivery vehicles and men unloading what looked like fruit and smelled like rotten fish. The workers gave me sideways glances that made it clear I didn't belong, and I had to press myself flat against a truck to let three bikes squeeze past that were loaded with more boxes than I can fit in our van back home.

I walked as far as I thought I needed to, then I stopped.

It didn't hit me until this morning that this was a glimpse of Josie's day: for a few seconds I was dizzyingly lost. I made a slow 360 and realized that not only did I not know where I was going, but I no longer knew where I was. Surrounded by people, I was totally alone. None of them looked like me. As far as I knew, none of them spoke my language. If I kept going forward or turned around and went back I would be hopelessly on my own. So there I stood. Paralyzed. I don't remember having time to be scared but I was certainly using all my faculties to try to notice anything familiar. Like Josie, my eyes were wide open and my brain was working overtime to pick out anything I could recognize. And as is the case for her, the thought of smiling or laughing at that time never crossed my mind.

The difference between Josie and me? I had the assurance of my heavenly Father protecting me. As I prayed and looked around, an obviously American man came out of a building just behind me to my left (left? I thought it was on the right?). I recognized something about the door he opened so I hustled over and asked, "Civil Affairs?" He gave me a most welcome smile and said that it was. Upon entering the enormous building I realized I had also failed to notice which floor my family was on when I left them. I turned around and caught up to my new dear friend and he said he thought it was the 8th. When I got on the elevator there were 37 floors to choose from...that would have taken a while to figure out! But my now beloved bosom buddy was right. The elevator doors opened on the 8th floor and there was Amy, with a look of relief on her face that must have mirrored mine.

Josie is craving that relief now as she cries sadly in the night. Everything and everyone around her is unrecognizable. We do not speak her language and she cannot tell us what she needs. She is suffering the paralysis of the hopelessly lost. My prayer for her as she cries out is that our heavenly Father will answer, and that He will use this obviously American man to help rescue her. I want Josie to be awash with that same relief and joy of finding her family. But I know it will take time.

You might be aware that Josie is classified as "special needs" because of a blood disorder called Alpha Thalassemia. We are not sure to what extent that is affecting her. She has been fairly listless since we met her, content to be held and snuggled and rocked, which quite frankly is OK with us. Although she is able to walk on her own she clings to us. We feed her like we would a wounded and frightened baby bird. But she can eat. That's promising. She'll eat anything and everything we put in front of her. Last night she showed some stubbornness, which is a good sign too. She was not going down without a fight into that OSHA-disapproved crib I turned upside down and wedged between our two beds so that when she crawls out of it again she will not fall to the floor. But crawl out of it she does, right on to Amy's chest where she sleeps fitfully.

The trouble with being adopted by a Science teacher and an Occupational Therapist is that your parents are constantly assessing your skin tone, gait, fine motor skills and facial expressions, or lack thereof. Maybe we should just give her a break and let her get used to this new normal. Soon enough she'll probably be running around and getting into everything...and we might miss these calm, quiet, clingy days. For now we empathize with her and mourn with her even as we rejoice over her and do our best to build a foundation of security for this little girl who feels so lost, though now she's found.

6 comments:

  1. So beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    This morning, as I was praying for Josie, the Lord brought me to Isaiah 61. Here are some snippets from my prayer journal this morning, based on this chapter:

    You are the God of the broken, rebuilding the brokenhearted, healing from the inside out. Bind up Josie's broken heart, proclaim freedom to her captive body, release he from darkness into Your light, proclaim 2014 as the year of Your favor to Josie. Comfort her as she mourns her homeland and past, provide what she needs, because You know exactly what she needs as she grieves. Help her to grieve in a healthy way. Bestow on Josie a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a spirit of praise instead of a spirit of despair. May Josie be called an oak of righteousness, a planting of the Lord with strong roots, for the display of Your splendor.

    Rebuild Josie, rebuild the ruins of our world that leaves 1000 children in rooms of 30 each. Restore any places in Josie that have been devastated in the two years of her precious life. Renew her, renew her birth family, change the trajectory of this family for generations.

    Give Josie a double portion: security and unconditional love from her forever family and a healthy connection with her past. May she rejoice in her inheritance from You. May everlasting joy be hers. Everlasting joy.

    I'm so thankful that God has brought you as instruments of love to bind up her broken heart, and I'm in full confidence that God will work wonders in Josie through you. Imagining how some day you will look back after a Daddy/Daughter weekend at the calm and quiet of these days and shake your head and laugh.

    Love you all. Please enjoy a snuggle for me until I can in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy,
      This is absolutely God given wisdom!!!
      Love,
      Nancy

      Delete
  2. What a frightening experience for Kent. This post gave me much to contemplate and to pray for. Never considered how frightening this experience must be for Josie. I have to keep reminding myself that we don't know what the last 2 years have held for her. You have the rest of your lives to help this precious child. You both have the knowledge and wisdom to seek the Lord and any other help He places before you. This is a busy time, so many paper trails, appointments and foreign language barriers. Stay peaceful (as much as possible) love all your children (I know you do), seek the Lords direction (I know you are) and come home to us. I loved Amy V.'s post and I will find ways to pray more purposefully for you through her demonstration. Love You All to Pieces!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Kent. Great story, and powerful insights into sweet Josie. God has gifted you with wisdom and insight, and he has gifted her with an amazing new family. I'm sure she is indeed confused, bewildered, and scared at times. Will pray that these feelings will increasingly melt away as she experiences the love, safety and security of her new family. As I read this I could not help but think about all the parallels with our Heavenly Father, and spiritual adoption as his sons and daughters. Btw you should keep writing/journaling hear things. Great stuff! Will continue to keep you guys, and her, in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank-you, Kent, for your stunning description for how Josie might feel. We pray that God will continue to give you insights and that Josie will begin to feel safe and secure in your arms as well as in our heavenly Father's arms. We are grateful to God for providing you with a "map" back to where you needed to be. We absolutely serve an amazing God who cares for our deepest needs. May He continue to guide you on this fantastic journey. May we echo aunt Amy's beautiful God-given prayer for Josie and your family. I am certain it is a desire we all share. We love you all and are excitedly awaiting your return so we can hug you and your new little one too. We will continue to steadfastly hold you all in prayer. May you rest secure in Jesus daily. One of my favorite hymns is Jesus I am Resting, Resting.

    Jesus! I am resting, resting
    In the joy of what Thou art;
    I am finding out the greatness
    Of Thy loving heart.
    Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee,
    And Thy beauty fills my soul,
    For, by Thy transforming power,
    Thou hast made me whole.
    Jesus! I am resting, resting
    In the joy of what Thou art;
    I am finding out the greatness
    Of Thy loving heart.

    2 Oh, how great Thy loving kindness,
    Vaster, broader than the sea:
    Oh, how marvelous Thy goodness,
    Lavished all on me!
    Yes, I rest in Thee, Beloved,
    Know what wealth of grace is Thine,
    Know Thy certainty of promise,
    And have made it mine.

    3 Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus,
    I behold Thee as Thou art,
    And Thy love, so pure, so changeless,
    Satisfies my heart,
    Satisfies its deepest longings,
    Meets, supplies its every need,
    Compasseth me round with blessings,
    Thine is love indeed.

    4 Ever lift Thy face upon me,
    As I work and wait for Thee;
    Resting ’neath Thy smile, Lord Jesus,
    Earth’s dark shadows flee.
    Brightness of my Father’s glory,
    Sunshine of my Father’s face,
    Keep me ever trusting, resting,
    Fill me with Thy grace.

    Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm9_MHAbbIE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you guys and little Josie!
    It was so good to get an email from Hannah today!!! All the way from China!
    Love ya!
    Emma

    ReplyDelete